Destiny Discover
Scent and Allergy Sensitive School

Scent and Allergy Sensitive School

St. Mary Catholic Secondary School has been moving towards becoming a scent and allergy sensitive school. In the interest to promote a safe school environment for all individuals who may be adversely affected or suffer a severe medical reaction when exposed to a fragrance, scented product or other allergens, we are providing awareness on allergies and scent sensitivities.

Due to health concerns arising from exposure to scents in the school and other allergens we are encouraging and asking for everyone’s cooperation towards a fragrance and scent free products environment at this school. We are also communicating the potential symptoms of sensitivities to maintain a safe school environment for all.

What is the issue?

Exposure to fragrances, scented products and other allergens can trigger serious health reactions in individuals with asthma, allergies, migraines or chemical sensitivities. Fragrances and scents are found in a wide range of products including perfume, aftershave, deodorant, soap, air fresheners, laundry detergents, facial tissues and candles.

It is a personal choice to use fragrances or scents; however, it is important to recognize that the chemicals from which these are created are, by their very nature shared. The chemicals vaporize into the air and are easily inhaled by those around us. Today’s fragrances/scented products are made up of a complex mixture of chemicals which can contribute to indoor air quality problems and cause health problems.

Susceptible individuals can experience a variety of symptoms, including headaches, sore throat, runny nose, sinus congestion, wheezing, shortness of breath, dizziness, anxiety, anger, nausea, fatigue, mental confusion and inability to concentrate. Although the mechanism by which chemicals act to produce symptoms are not yet understood, the impact on all these affected can be quite severe, resulting in great difficulty in work and study activities.

Moving towards a Scent and Allergy Sensitive School.

In order to protect those individuals with sensitivities to scents and other allergens and to possibly prevent others from developing such sensitivities, we are asking for your cooperation in establishing a fragrance/scent-safe environment in the school. Employees, students and visitors are strongly encouraged to avoid or reduce the use of fragrances and scented products and to be cognitive of those students and staff with potential life threatening allergies.

What can you do to help?
- Be considerate of those who are sensitive to scents and other allergens. Avoid using these products in the school or bringing these foods to school
- If you must use a scented product, please use it sparingly. A general guideline for fragrances and scented products is that they should not be detectable more than an arm’s length away.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

St. Mary Administration





Scent and Allergy Sensitive School